30 May 2008
28 May 2008
27 May 2008
We had about 25 big people and about 15 little people. We fed them all sorts of yummy things -
- ceviche with mango and tomato salsa, together with the yummy spring sweet onions.
- Insalata caprese with basil from my garden,
- hummus - can you have food without hummus?
- marinated and grilled artichokes,
- broccoli salad from Glenda,
- grilled u-15 shrimps with zippy sauce,
- potato salad with eggs from Dave's brother's farm, (and fresh dug potatoes as they're called in these here parts),
- Amish friendship bread - the batch I made and the batch Gigi brought ;),
- roasted root vegetables including beets, rutabaga, turnip, carrot and sweet potato,
- chicken kebobs with Maureen's ginger/garlic/ lemon marinade,
- burgers, dogs, hobo pork meals
- chips of all different colors, sweet and savory
It was just a food freakin' orgy! The neighbors are starting to think we party like gourmands every weekend. And, with Gene's cooking ... I guess we do. One of our friends said to Dru ... your mom cooks really well. To which young son said, "yeah, she does. But not as well as Daddy!" D'oh! He's right. Gene is amazing in the kitchen -- and anywhere near a grill.
The kids had a blast, the adults had a great time. We are so very thankful for the blessings of the last year. We all speak English. We can discuss politics without fear of reproach. I can enjoy the company of people who go to different churches, and those who don't. We have our military to thank for that. Our freedom isn't free. To those who have served, thank you.